You may have savored more traditional tamales - bundles steaming with spicy filling of cheese, chicken, pork. "Not all tamales have to be flavored with fire and brimstone." Mango Dessert Tamales. They,re delectable combinations of familiar and exotic ingredients. If you already have a passion for tamales, you will find these unique fruit-filled versions the perfect ending to any meal. If you're working solo break the tamale recipe down into smaller tasks. Better still, gather recipe ingredients and a group of friends and turn tamale-making into a party. Make double batches so everyone can take home some of the desserts.
13 - large dried cornhusks
1 1/4 - cups unsalted butter, softened
4 1/4 - cups masa harina
1 - tablespoon baking powder
- Mango Fruit Puree, divided
1 - (7-ounce) can flaked coconut, divided
4 - egg whites
1/2 - cup sugar
1/8 - teaspoon salt
2 - tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 - teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh Fruit Compote
- Grated nutmeg (optional)
- Cover husks with hot water, and let stand 1 hour or until softened.
- Drain cornhusks, and pat dry. Tear 1 cornhusk lengthwise into thin strips to make ties, set aside.
- Place butter in a large bowl, beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add masa harina and baking powder, beating after each addition. (Mixture will be crumbly)
- Stir 2 cups mango Fruit Puree and 1 cup coconut into mixture, (Mixture should not be sticky. If it is, stir in a small amount of masa harina.)
- Divide mango mixture evenly onto 12 cornhusks. Pat each portion into a 5 1/2 - x 4 1/2-inch rectangle, leaving at least a 1/2-inch border on 3 sides of husks and a greater margin at pointed ends.
- Combine egg whites and next 4 ingredients, stir remaining coconut. Spoon evenly down center of mango mixture.
- Bring long sides of husk together, pressing mango mixture to seal in coconut mixture. Twist pointed end closed and tie with a cornhusks strip. Leave opposite end untied.
- Place a cup in center of a steamer basket or metal colander in a oven, and add enough water to fill below basket. Bring water to a boil. Stand tamales, pointed (closed) end down, around cup. Cover and steam 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Trim open end of each tamale to allow filling to show
- Spoon remaining Friut Puree and Fresh Fruit Compote onto each plate just before serving. Top with tamales. Sprinkle grated nutmeg on rim of plate
Garnish: If desired
Yield: 12 tamales or 6 servings