The gild these cookies, lightly brush edible gold-leaf powder onto the cookies, using a small dry paintbrush.
1/2 - cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 - cup sugar
1 - large egg
1/2 - cup molasses
3 - cups all-purpose flour
2 - tablespoons cocoa
1 - teaspoon baking soda
1 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/2 - teaspoon baking powder
Garnish: edible gold-leaf powder
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg and molasses, beating well
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended
- Divide dough in half, wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
- Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired sizes with star-shaped cutters, place on lightly greased baking sheets
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
Garnish: If desired
Yield: about 5 dozen cookies