|Souffle Au Chocolat Cointreau|
Bill Gilchrist of Birmingham, Alabama prefers to whip egg whites by hand, but this recipe works just fine with a mixer, too. you can cut this recipe in half to serve six.
Butter or margarine
2 - tablespoons sugar
1/4 - cup butter or margarine
1 - (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/4 - cup Cointreau or other orange-flavored liqueur
12 - large eggs, separated
1 1/2 - cups sifted powdered sugar
1 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 - teaspoon cream of tartar
- powdered sugar
- Chocolate ream
Garnish: orange rind strips
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil long enough to fit around a 2 3/4- quart souffle dish or straight-sided casserole, allowing a 1-inch overlap; starting from 1 long side, fold foil into thirds. Lightly butter 1 side of foil and dish. Wrap foil around outside dish, buttered side against dish, allowing it to extend 3 inches above rim to form a collar; secure with string or masking tape. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, tilting prepared dish to coat sides. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter and chocolate morsels in top of a double boiler, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate and butter melt, stirring often. Remove from water; cool 5 minutes. Stir in Cointreau. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, gradually add powdered sugar, beating until mixture is thick and pale. Stir in cinnamon and chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently stir 1 1/2 cups egg white mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Fold remaining egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepare dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and remove collar. Serve immediately with Chocolate Cream. Garnish if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
1 - cup whipping cream
1 - tablespoon sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 - teaspoon cocoa
- Beat all ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Yield: 2 cups
Recipe By: Joelle Diorio
From: Orlando, Florida
Book: Southern Living