Sunday, June 12, 2011
1 - quart strawberries, sliced
1/2 - cup sugar
2 - cups all-purpose flour
1 - teaspoon baking powder
1 - cup sugar
1/2 - cup butter or margarine
2 - large eggs
1 - cup whipping cream
1/4 - cup sifted powdered sugar
Garnishes: whole strawberry, fresh mint sprigs
- Combine 1 quart strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar, set aside
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture is crumby. Add eggs, stirring until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly several times to form a ball. (Dough will be grainy.) Press into a wax paper-lined 8-inch round cakepan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and peel off wax paper. Cool on wire rack.
- Beat whipping cream at low speed with an electric mixer until foamy, gradually add powdered sugar, beating at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Split chortcake crosswise into 2 layers. Place 1 layer on a serving plate, drizzle with 2 tablespoons liquid from strawberry mixture. Spread with half of whipped cream, and arrange half of strawberries on top. Place remaining shortcake layer over strawberries, and top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
Garnish: if desired
Yield: one 2-layer shortcake