1 - (16-ounce) can purple plums in heavy syrup, undrained
1/2 - cup butter or margarine
1 - large onion, chopped
1 - (6-ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed and undiluted
1/2 - cup chili sauce
1/4 - cup soy sauce
1 - tablespoon dry mustard
1 - tablespoon ground ginger
1 - teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 - drops of hot sauce
8 - (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 - sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 - green pepper, cut into strips
1 - large onion, sliced
2 - (1-pound) flank steaks
- sliced green onions
- sour cream or guacamole
Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
- Drain plums, reserving syrup, remove pits from plums. Place plums and syrup in container of an electric blender, process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Set plum puree aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender. Stir in puree, lemonade concentrate, and next 6 ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions, keep warm
- Place peppers and onion in a greased grill basket. Place basket and steaks on food rack, baste with sauce. Cook, without grill lid, over hot coals (400 to 500 degrees), 10 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, basting often.
- Cut steaks diagonally across grain into thin strips
- Serve steak and grilled vegetables in tortillas, top with green onions and sour cream or guacamole.
Garnish: if desired.
Yield: 8 servings