Tuesday, April 5, 2011
3 - leeks (about 1 pound)
3 - tablespoons butter or margarine
1 - medium onion, chopped
3 - tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 - (49 1/2-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
3 - large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 - (10-ounce) package frozen English peas
4 - cups milk, divided
1/4to 1/2 -teaspoon ground white pepper
- Remove roots, tough outer leaves, and green tops from leeks; discard. Wash leeks thourghly, and chop coarsely
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add leeks and onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender
- Add flour, stirring until blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Add potatoes, and bring boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cool 45 minutes
- Cook peas according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Pour one-third of potato mixtureinto container of an electric blender; process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. repeat procedure twice with remaining potato mixture.
- Combine 4 cups potato puree, 2 cups milk, and pepper in a saucepan; cook stirring constantly, over low heat until thoroughly heated. Set aside
- Combine 2 cups potato puree and peas in container of an electric blender; process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Combine pea mixture, remaining 2 cups potato puree, and 2 cups milk in a Dutch oven. Cook, Stirring constantly, over low heat until thoroughly geated,
- Pour bth mixtures at the same time into soup bowls, and swirl. Serve immediately.
Yield: 13 cups