|Orange Date Cake|
1 - cup butter or margarine, softened
2 - cups sugar
4 - large eggs
4 - cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 - teaspoon baking soda
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1 1/3 - cups buttermilk
1 1/2 - tablespoons grated orange rind, divided
1 - cup chopped pecans
1 - cup chopped dates
1 - cup sugar
1/2 - cup orange juice
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2minutes or until creamy. Gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating at medium speed 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine 3 3/4 cups flour, soda, and salt, add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 tablespoon orange rind.
- Combine pecans, dates, and remaining 1/4 cup flour, salt into batter.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 10-ince tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, orange juice, and remaining 1/2 tablespoon orange rind in a small saucepan, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Pour glaze over warm cake, cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan, let cool completely on wire rack.
Yeild: one 10-ince cake
Recipe By: Joelle Diorio
From: Orlando, Florida
Book: Southern Living