8 - ounces hard red-and-white peppermint candies (2 cups)
1/2 - cup half-and-half
1 - envelope unflavored gelatin
1 - tablespoon cold water
1 1/2 - cups whipping cream
- commercial chocolate sauce
- Place candies in a heavy duty, zip-top plastic bag, seal bag, and crush, using a mallet or rolling pin until the consistency of powder.
- Combine crushed candies and half-and-half in a small saucepan. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes r until candies dissolve. (remove and discard any lumps of undissolved candy.) Set peppermint mixture aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water in a large bowl, let stand 1 minute. Add peppermint mixture, stirring until gelatin dissolves (about 2 minutes) Set peppermint mixture aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold into peppermint mixture. Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 4-cup mold.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours. Unmold onto a serving plate. Serve with chocolate sauce.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings